If you’re not listening to the Gastrocast you are missing out on the podcast meant for you. That’s right.. I can say it even though I don’t know you!
This week brought the Podchef to Connecticut and off of his island (Shaw island off of the coast of Washington State) and brought us then to several local farms and farmstands. He had agreed to cook us a meal and we simply went and sourced everything we could as locally as we could.
- Fresh veggies from our CSA at Woodbridge Farm. Potatoes, cucumbers, basil in particular for our meal. (A great tour of the farm too which I know the Podchef enjoyed.)
- Great cheese from Cato Corner Farm which is just a few miles down the road from me.
- Lamb from Beaver Brook Farm. A random find based upon a conversation we had while at Woodbridge. Also some sheeps milk yogurt.
- Berries, Corn and Peaches from assorted farm stands along the way.
- Red and white wine from our local vineyard, Priam. A great wine tasting too!
- Oregano… jesus… where the f is oregano in this stinkin state? Nobody had it. So we got some packaged from New Hampshire.
- Peppers, cucumbers, beans and beets, beets, beets from my backyard.
- Bread made by my friend Chris. (He and his wife ate with us.)
- Fresh local haddock and scallops.
From a great fish chowder to a warm beet salad, then on to grilled lamb, cheese and wine. Lots of fun and incredibly delicious.
Naturally I also got some pointers on the garden from the Podchef. He’s been gardening and farming for most of his life – you can’t find that kind of experience and guidance!